Waterday, 19 Reaping, 1468 CY
- Troyas asks if the group will be heading on to Overlook: their skills could be useful to the dwarves. Though Diony attempts to wheedle something out of him, the councilman assures the elf that the dwarves will make it worth his while.
- The Hordebane picks up their reward from Gavriel’s Smithy.
- Skien convinces the young stable boy to sell him the only animal he and his father have left after the goblin attack: a stubborn donkey named Jack.
- The Hordebane catches up with the Witchwood refugees and escorts them the rest of the way to Talar, and then on toward Witchcross where they take the Old Forest Road in to Grymm’s village. Just as they are about to cross the ferry, Tanner gets a painful message from his Aunt Maa’zai regarding Kartenix. He returns to Brindol as swiftly as possible.
- The guards head back to Talar, satisfied that the refugees are returned. Skien knows a shortcut to the monastery and convinces the party to bring his three brothers back home as well.
- The night is uneventful, except for Grymm’s Diony-induced spill into the Elsir River. In a fit of rage, Grymm charges after the mischievous (and well-intentioned) elf to pummel him to unconsciousness. That Bitch and Jack look on and laugh.
- Skien looks for rituals that might restore Kartenix, but finds none. He does find the poem he remembered about the Day of the Black Sun.
Earthday, 20 Reaping, 1468 CY
- The Father at the monastery chides Skien for questioning the Raven Queen’s judgement. He confirms that there are no Raise Dead rituals in the monastery’s library.
- The Hordebane returns to Talar for brunch at the Green Dragon Inn before heading onward through Nimon Gap and stopping in the tanning community of Terralton for the night.
- That Bitch picked up some leather to make into a saddle and some saddlebags for Jack.
- They ask around and hear that a blind dragonborn passed through a day or two ago.
- Along the road, That Bitch and Skien noticed some mums blooming out of season. Grymm noticed it subconsciously, for that is what he dreamed about all night—he awoke with thoughts of his sister.
Freeday, 21 Reaping, 1468 CY
- A few hours onto the road, the group notices the flowers again and takes time to examine them. Grymm recognizes them as his sister’s favorite flower, and Diony thinks they are some sort of trail.
- Urgency sweeps through Grymm, and he hurries onward. Soon, he hears the sounds of battle and he draws his weapons as he breaks into a run.
- The others hurry to catch up, and Diony sneaks through the trees to see what is going on.
- The Green Hand, an all-female adventuring party, takes down the last of the orcs as Grymm rounds the corner, and Ireni is there safe and sound. It turns out that The Green Hand has been fighting goblins in the Witchwood, doing their best to defend the people who live in the haunted wood.
- Ireni had been making the orcs sick so that they would be easier to defeat.
- She greets her brother warmly, and regrets that he will not return to the village with her…but she knows that his path lies elsewhere, perhaps even in Overlook.
- At Diony’s comments about getting her brother to bathe, Ireni casts a small charm on the necklace Grymm took from her hut in the Witchwood: it now serves to dampen the smell around him to a tolerable level.
- Together, the Hordebane and The Green Hand travel onward to Drellin’s Ferry. Along the way, they discover a sacked wagon. Upon investigation, they find a box with the seal of the Elsir Consortium in Overlook. Diony attempts to open it, but is unable to do so.
- At Drellin’s Ferry, the group finds Irjan outside of The Green Apple and they rejoin his company.
- That Bitch takes Jack to the stables and sleeps with him there, only to be awoken very early by a bubbly Delora as she sees to the animals in the morning.
Starday, 22 Reaping, 1468 CY
- The Hordebane sets off in the company of The Green Hand, and Irjan challenges one of the women to a shooting contest. She obliges, and just loses to the blind dragonborn. Jouet does not like him at all, though she respects his skill well enough.
- They camp in the Wyrmsmoke Mountains, able to avoid trouble with their strength in numbers.
Sunday, 23 Reaping, 1468 CY
- The party comes down out of the mountains and into the Westdeep Forest, passing within a few hours of Sodden. That Bitch is not yet ready to see his daughter, so he says nothing and continues on to Overlook.
- The city gates are closed for the night when they arrive, but there are still some poor, desperate people wandering around in the Shantytown outside the city’s tall, dwarven-built walls.
- The Green Hand smell the Shantytown (over That Bitch’s ever-stronger musk), and choose to camp outside, downwind.
- The Hordebane stays at the Clean Sheets where they meet Yerrin Dalovoy, the halfling owner. Choosing to eat rations rather than trust the food there, they sleep as well as possible in a place that smells endlessly of filth.
Moonday, 24 Reaping, 1468 CY
- Irjan is awakened by a whispered argument between Yerrin and another, larger man. When he and Diony go to “whiz” and investigate, Yerrin takes them into his confidence. There is a gang in town that demands protection money to keep bad things from happening to people in fine businesses like Yerrin’s own. He had a disagreement with the collector this morning, but he’s sure it will work itself out. But if anything does happen, he’d be glad to have Diony and Irjan stick up for him—after all, he has some connections and can maybe get ahold of some things the people of Overlook wouldn’t want to fall into the wrong hands.
- Skipping breakfast at the Clean Sheets, the Hordebane heads for the now-open gate where they meet Captain Aerun and head onward to the Mountain Hearth for a bath and clean clothes.
- Reggen, the matron in charge of the inn, has been having trouble with the “Lost Ones.” They recently vandalized her latest shipment of flour, and have been terrorizing her staff. She refuses to pay their “protection” fee, but at the same time she is not sure how far these Lost Ones will go to punish her people, her establishment, or her customers.
- After baths, they headed to Elftown to meet with someone from the Elsir Consortium and return the box they found in the damaged caravan.
- Bram Ironfell rewarded each member of the party with 20gp, explaining that the box contained sensitive documents regarding some land his great-great-grandfather might have possessed. He will see about sending it to relatives in the direction of Brindol after the orc excitement has died down.
- The Council of Elders called all the adventurers to the High Hall to describe their plan for the defense of Overlook and Bordrin’s Watch: most would be delegated to Durkik Forgeheart who will be leading the militia at Bordrin’s Watch proper; the Farstriders would see to the orcs coming through the tunnels under the mountains; another group would have to journey through the mountains to the Monastery of the Sundered Chain to warn the priests there…it was bound to be dangerous if there were orcs around.
- Edgar Sommerfield, the leader of the Farstriders, was furious that another group was offered an equal opportunity for glory, as he had made a prior arrangement with the Elders to take on the most dangerous assignment.
- Elder Cadrick offered the group 1000gp if they could go and warn the priests if they did not already know what was coming.
- On the way out of the High Hall of Caer Overlook, Irjan was approached by his brother, Danobre, who promised to leave a message for Irjan at the Mountain Hearth for when he returned from doing the Council’s bidding.
- The Hordebane makes ready to set off into the Stonehome Mountains…
Sickly orcs who held Ireni captive are now very dead, killed by The Green Hand.
- 150 XP to all players (Total: 3287).
- Everlasting Provisions
- Chainmail Armor of Fire Resistance +1
- Jack the Ass was purchased from a lonely stable boy in Brindol.
- Ireni was found.
- 20 gp to all players for returning the Elsir Consortium box to Bram Ironfell.
Out of Character
Discussion completed on house rules: Temporary Boons and Points of Awesome will stand as they are written, and Fate Points (and little chips of fate) are up to each character to keep track of.
Everyone except Irjan has an additional banked Point of Awesome as he is the only one who used his Boon.